Saturday, June 23, 2012

Reaching Out

Recently I received a note from another Etsy seller inquiring about some of my past sales and photography tips.  She was so sweet and curious and I could not have been more flattered.  I know she wanted information but what she could not have realized is that by taking the time to reach out she gave me a gift as well.  You see, I've been selling on Etsy since November of 2010 and still feel like a newbie.  I'm always reading, learning, and tweaking things in an attempt to increase shop visibility and sales.  It's really a lot of work and if I didn't enjoy thrifting and sharing the items I find so much it would not be worth it.  But I do love it so I keep plugging away and trying to improve, little by little.

Many times I visited other people's shops to admire their wares and techniques, but not once did I consider asking them for help.  I'm not sure why that is really.  I suppose I didn't want to bother anyone and assumed that is what my inquiry would be.  Now that I have been on the receiving end of one of these notes I realize I had it all wrong.  Taking the time to reach out to another seller is a gift in and of itself.  It says that you value the work they have put into their shop and what better compliment could one receive?  I also found myself grateful to be able to pass along a tidbit of information in an attempt to help a friend out.  We all work so hard individually to learn these things and it really is comforting to be able to pass that information along.  So thank you, Cheryl, for making my day!  (And, just as importantly, helping me realize how much my life could be improved by a Skull & Crossbones washcloth.  Isn't it perfect?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment